“Physiotherapy is not just for when you are in PAIN but for PREVENTION and PERFORMANCE”
Typical Golf Injuries
- Lower Back
- Elbow – Girls are at a higher risk (McCarroll et al)
- Hand & Wrist
“Overuse and poor swing mechanics were found to be the cause of these injuries” (Batt, 1992; Fradkin et al. 2004; McHardy & Pollard, 2005)
“Injuries are significantly reduced if players warm up appropriately before playing golf” (Batt, 1992)
- Prepare your body mentally & physically
- Would you run a race without warming up?
Warm Up – The Evidence!
- 2004: Study where a warm up and conditioning programme was performed by golfers for 7 weeks (4-5 x week). Golf club head speed was measured to track changes.
- The warm up consisted of:
- 4 exercises to raise body temp,
- 9 stretches
- 30 seconds of air swings with the golf club.
“Golf Head Speed increased by 24% – that’s a decrease in handicap of about 7 shots! (Fradkin et al. 2004 British Journal of Sports Medicine)
Physio for Optimal Performance
- By finding out where YOU can improve in strength and flexibility I can…
- Treat areas of tightness
- Provide a specific conditioning program
- Teach you how to warm up properly
- Teach you how to stay in good shape
- Team up with your coach